Most people will say who is Arthur Verocai? I’m by no means an expert on Brazilian music but my love for funky soul and jazz has caused me to dabble and immerse myself in this music over the years. Most of us are familiar with the more popular jazz sambistas of the 70’s Gilberto Gil and Jorge Ben just to name a few. However, a few years ago I ran across a repress of Arthur Verocai’s 1972 self titled Opus album. I was quick to purchase it from an online record store and was forever a fan. The album is now a timeless classic and has inspired so many artists. This album is simply amazing!
So last night my homie Mo and I made the quick trek to Cal State LA’s Luxman theatre to catch the legend himself. Lets not forget there were scheduled opening sets by J Rocc, Madlib, and Dj Nuts. We arrived early and as expected the crowd was the familiar eclectic faces of LA. The crowd poured into the theatre as we caught the sets from J Rocc and Madlib. After much anticipation Arthur Verocai and his 30 piece orchestra graced us. There are too many words to describe the ensemble and music played. By the time “Na Boca Del Sol” was played my eyes were closed not because I fell asleep, but because I was in musical bliss. For those of you that have been sleeping I highly recommend digging for Arthur Verocai’s music. Next on the Timeless concert series David Axelrod!
No comments:
Post a Comment