Monday, December 8, 2008

Pacman tarnishes Golden Boy's shine.


I’m still reflecting on what I witnessed on Saturday night. The long anticipated fight of the year finally took place and much to my surprise the Golden Boy Oscar De La Hoya got man handled by Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao. Pacman, the underdog and undersized fighter from the Philippines who most critics and analysts thought had no chance. I myself had my doubts considering the size advantage. This fight will truly be remembered as one of Boxings great David and Goliath stories. The Philippine icon and peoples champ will more likely be named Ringside magazines fighter of the year. Manny was busy in 2008 fighting 3 times in 3 weight classes. He fought Juan Manual Marquez at super feather weight (130 lbs) in March 2008 with a close victory earning the WBC title. Then 3 months later moved up weight (135 lbs.) to fight WBC light weight champion David Diaz and earned a knockout victory in the 9th round. Finally last Saturday moving up to welterweight (147 lbs.) beating up the Golden Boy and causing him to give up after the 8th round.

Most people and fans are going to argue that the Golden Boy’s loss in weight, long layoff, etc. was too much. I’m not going to make up any excuses, Manny was just a better fighter. I’ve watched De La Hoya since he made his mark in the Olympics in 1992. This was definitely not the Golden Boy I grew up watching. Something to consider, De La Hoya has lost his last 2 major big fights Mayweather in 2007 and Hopkins in 2004. Yes he knocked out a washed up Mayorga in 2006 but I’m not going to count that. Maybe this was a wake up call for De La Hoya and it’s now time for him to call it a day. We can reflect on his accomplishments, De La Hoya dominated the welterweight division from 1992 -1999 and did not suffer a loss until 1999 versus Trinidad that’s impressive. Lets not take anything away from De La Hoya, he’s been a great champion and is definitely headed for the Hall of Fame. De La Hoya now needs to continue with his fight promoting business and enjoy all those millions he’s made over the years. So what’s next for Manny? Some say he will fight Ricky Hatton or maybe Mayweather may consider coming out of retirement? Anything is possible right? My friend Jimmy told me if he beats Oscar he will go down as one of the rare greats. I think he’s proved that thus far. One thing is for sure, NEVER again will I doubt Manny Pacquiao.

No comments: