
I'm back from my Philippine exploits. Ok maybe exploits is a bad term to use but with the PI peso at 50 to 1 how can anyone with a US dollar complain. My 2 week vacation was jam packed and flew by. The trip included everything from visiting family, golfing, partying, and so on. Everyone is anticipating a Flickr album of pictures. However, to be honest with you I didn't take very many pics. What I did take back is a jump drive full of new Original Pilipino Music (OPM).
Every time I go back to the motherland I can see the progression and growth of the PI. The PI has definitely moved along with the technology. The impression of American culture is forever imprinted on Filipino society. In particular the influence of American and European music on Filipino culture. It’s no secret that Filipinos love music! Where else are you going to go and find people singing on a Magic Mic in the middle of grocery store? People love and I mean LOVE! to sing and dance.
I remember on one of my first adult balikbayan trip in 1994. The PI was still kind of backwards to me. Everyone was still stuck in the 80’s and in all the clubs everyone was dancing to remixed versions of New Order and the Cure songs. You can only imagine what everyone dressed like. I’m not hating I’m just saying. There was really no real hip hop except for some gimmick acts and the rock scene was alive but still doing covers. I mean sure we are the greatest imitators and we have had great cover bands. Look at the success story of Arnold Pineda now the lead singer of Journey. There's no question that the Philippines is rich in musical talent. What I’m saying is musically we didn’t seem to have our own identity.
We fast forward to 2008 and everyone has “Stacks on deck, Patron on ice, and we can pop bottles all night Baby you could have whatever you like!” We can thank T.I. for that. Yes I'm still having flashbacks from Embassy. So what happened and where did this sudden change come from? Here’s what happened thanks to the internet, MTV, and the huge influx of Filipino Americans (filams) moving back has caused in my opinion the dramatic change in culture. There’s no question that Pinoys always have loved good old rock music. How many of our parents are Beatle maniacs? What has surprised me the most is the progression of Filipino rock. During my stay I was introduced to some new Pinoy rock bands. Bands like Drip, Taken by Cars, and Up Dharma down just to name a few. Like I said earlier I have an entire jump drive full of this stuff and I have barely begun to sink my teeth into it.
The first LP that I have had a chance to listen to is from this group Up Dharma Down. This group actually had their 1st release in 2006 and has been tagged the first Asian band who might actually cross over to North American shores. This band also won best new artist in the PI in 2006. The band known for opening up for acts like Incubus and Block party has really gained popularity in the PI and I managed to pick up their sophomore album “Bipolar”. I have spent this past 3 working days listening to this LP. Up Dharma Down really combines styles of music from other genres including hip hop and electronica to make their own unique sound. Lead singer Armi Millare adds her beautiful voice along with her keyboard skills to really make them stand out from the rest. This is not the album you will throw on when you are pissed at the world but it’s the album you will throw on when you are ready to sit back and unwind. This is the album to listen to on that long scenic drive by yourself when you are having a moment of internal reflection.
No comments:
Post a Comment